Athlete Code of Conduct
Athlete/Unified Partner Code of Conduct
Special Olympics is committed to the highest ideals of sport and expects all athletes to honor sports and Special Olympics. All Special Olympics athletes and Unified Sports® Partners agree to the following code*.
- I will practice good sportsmanship.
- I will act in ways that bring respect to me, my coaches, my team and Special Olympics.
- I will not use bad language.
- I will not swear or insult other persons.
- I will not fight with other athletes, coaches, volunteers or staff.
Training and Competition
- I will train regularly.
- I will learn and follow the rules of my sport.
- I will listen to my coaches and the officials and ask questions when I do not understand.
- I will always try my best during training, divisioning and competitions.
- I will not “hold back” in preliminary competition just to get into an easier finals competition division.
Responsibility for My Actions
- I will not make inappropriate or unwanted physical, verbal or sexual advances on others.
- I will not smoke in non-smoking areas.
- I will not drink alcohol or use illegal drugs at Special Olympics events.
- I will not take drugs for the purpose of improving my performance.
- I will obey all laws and Special Olympics rules, as well as the International Federation and National Federation/Governing Body rules for my sport(s).
I understand that if I do not obey this Code of Conduct, I will be subject to a range of consequence by my Program or a Games Organizing Committee for a World Games, up to and including not being allowed to participate.
Athlete Sports Rules Handbooks
Athletes, for you to perform at your best, you need to know the rules of the sports you are playing.