Sports & Competitions
In addition to the athletic competition, each of the games include all of the pageantry and excitement of the Olympic Games with events such as Opening Ceremony, Lighting the Special Olympics Flame of Hope, Victory Dances, Banquets, and Award Ceremonies.
Official and Developmental Sports Offered By Special Olympics South Dakota: (Sports Handbooks will become available as they are completed)
Special Olympics is unique in that it accommodates competitors at all ability levels by assigning them to competition divisions based on previous performances or preliminary heats. In this way, all athletes get a chance to compete against others of equal ability.
- We follow the National Governing Body rules of each sport.
- Athletes train prior to competition.
- Qualified coaches train participants.
- Sports are adapted to allow athletes of all ability levels to participate.
- Athletes compete in divisions made up of individuals with equal ability levels. (typically no less than 3 and never more than 8)